It’s bank holiday weekend and, surprisingly, the British sun has come out to play! Nothing for it but to fire up the barbie and eat outdoors. And what a perfect night we’ve just had. We tucked in to the best homemade burgers (thanks Big Al), Jersey Royals dripping in melted butter and a gorgeous summer salad. Flicking through the recipes I kept from my recent Delicious Magazine cull, I discovered this mega tasty recipe. Definitely one to share:
Roasted tomato, orzo, feta and basil summer salad
What Goes In
- 300g mixed cherry and small vine tomates, cut in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 320g orzo (or you could try 200g giant couscous)
- Juice 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 150g feta
- Large handful fresh basil
Making your perfect summer salad
- Heat the oven to 200ºC / fan 180ºC / gas 6.
- Put the tomatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil and season.
- Roast for 25 minutes, then remove and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7 minutes.
- When cooked, drain the orzo, tip into a bowl and mix with the lemon juice and extra-vigin olive oil.
- Leave the orzo to cool to room temperature, then gently mix in the tomatoes, crumbled feta and basil leaves.
For another gorgeous summer salad, here’s a link to another family favourite over at BBC Good Food. It’s the herby quinoa, feta & pomegranate salad.
Did you know cooked tomatoes are also really good for you?
When you cook tomatoes, you might not know that the process increases the antioxidant activity in tomatoes. This has multiple health benefits as cooked tomatoes are low in calories and fat and they also give you a dose of protein and fibre. So not only is this perfect summer salad totally delicious, it’s really good for you too!